But but….

I know this might seem strange coming from me. However i can no longer ignore it. The use of but to start sentences is wrong! Didn’t you people learn English at school. Never start a sentence with but. Not only does it make you look really stupid it also makes me feel stupid. I have seen it lots lately with journalist, and online print. It erks me no end to read,

…currently exempt from the PST. But he said Ontarians….” (excerpt from CBC.ca)

How is that good English?  Please do tell that you couldn’t use a much more eloquent word to get the same meaning across. Is the English language dying? Are we just going down to the basis of “dumbest wins”. Cause this is what it seems to be at the moment. Writing, and by this i mean Journalist are just going down to the common denominator.

I for one want to increase my word power, not decrease it. Please everyone start using bigger and better words, with a link to a dictionary. At least don’t start your sentences with but. How lazy are you?

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to But but….

1. Leo Dumbrowski says:

One example from YOUR blog entry:

quote: Cause this is what it seems to be at the moment. unquote.

This sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

2. Jason Tapp says:

But what about when you need too….

Had to do it.

True. What is wrong with that? Is it that i haven’t used a full sentence, or made is correct somehow?

I accept the criticism, but would like to know what is wrong with it. Just saying it is wrong, doesn’t teach me anything about why it is wrong. I know that i am not a very good speller, and heck everyone around me knows that my grammar is not perfect. The point i was trying to make, is that people that spend there life writing, do not use it correctly in my opinion.

4. Dan says:

If this is stupid then Jack London and Thomas Wolfe are dumb! they used it in their stories. My College Lit instructor How has a PHD in lit and writes books said to use it is fun to use in in a independent clause. I don’t know maybe they are wrong.

5. Dan says:

sorry for the errors

My college Lit intructor who has a PHD in lit…

6. Dan says:

If this is stupid then Jack London and Thomas Wolfe are dumb! they used it in their stories. My College Literature instructor How has a PHD in literature, Writing,History and she wrote 4 book; She told us that it is fine But at the begaining of an independent or a dependent conjunction clause. I don’t know maybe they are wrong.

Sorry for all the post, that is what happens when you try to think and write At 2:30 in the morning. :))

7. Shell says:

I agree that it is grammatically incorrect to use ‘but’ at the beginning of sentences. Unfortunately I believe this to be because of computers – much to your distain – people are essentially lazy beings…spell check reiterates that fact. Unfortunately “big” words aren’t understood by the general populous anymore. Perhaps we should start a revolution?

8. Bruce says: